The Historical Archive of Reale Mutua was born together with the Company: the core of the Archive are the Foundation Deeds of 1828. From the very first years of operations and throughout the 19th century, the production and preservation of documents was coordinated by the Secretary General, who among other tasks also drew up the minutes of the company's General Council and Board of Directors.
Towards the end of the nineteenth century, the documents no longer in current use were transferred to a Deposit Archive, where they remained until otherwise ordered by the Board of Directors.
In the early 1930s, the premises for the archives, which had already reached a considerable size, were moved to the basement of the new building in via Corte d'Appello 11, equipped with mechanised systems that made it easier to move the material.
In 1943, when the employees were displaced by the bombings, the documentation produced by the Company followed the relevant offices in their relocation outside Turin, to be brought back to the headquarters with the end of the conflict and the regular reopening of its offices
With the increase in the Company's business volume and technological innovations, the archives produced by the company grew and needed diversified locations and management.
Until the year 2000, the Company's entire Deposit Archive was located in the Piero della Francesca logistics centre in Turin, where over 50 employees carried out approximately 1 million handling operations per year.
When the Dora Riparia flooded on 14th and 15th October 2000, the premises where the deposit archives were kept were also hit by the flooding; the water and debris flooded the rooms to their full height, doors and windows were torn off and most of the papers of the Historical Archive were dragged out of the premises, becoming irreversibly lost.
By pure chance, the historical documentation produced by the Corporate Bodies, the plans of the real estate assets and other important material, had been moved to the headquarters a few days earlier, thus saving them from destruction.
In 2012, at the same time as the redevelopment of Palazzo Biandrate Aldobrandino di San Giorgio and the restoration of the documents displayed in the Historical Museum with a view to its refurbishment, the decision was made to reorder, file and inventory the company's Historical Archive as well.
At the end of the operations, the result was over 167 linear metres of documentary material which tells the story of the Company - one of the longest standing in Italy - from 1828 to the early 2000s.
The Historical Archive is now located on the ground floor of Palazzo Biandrate Aldobrandino di San Giorgio and can also be consulted by the public.